Friday, October 21, 2005

Karate Kid

I am certain I'll be giving birth to a miniature karate kid. This baby is just over a pound and can deliver quite a punch to the gut. Or kick. I can't tell which for sure.
The wedding was great and my sister was a beeeeeauuutiful bride. I just looked like a bloated bridesmaid in a cinnamon dress. I'll post a photo next time. I thought it was strange when people on the groom's side of the family kept saying they couldn't tell which bridesmaid was pregnant. At first it sounded flattering - maybe because I thought I looked so svelte in the perfect a-line bridesmaid dress. But I did not. I was 5 months pregnant for crying out loud! Maybe they thought I was just out of shape or suffering from a horrible hernia. But nice to confirm for everyone that I am indeed pregnant during the speech/toat portion of the reception. I was sure to clear that up. The dress was to have pleats across the belly and mine had them, and all but the top two expanded over my belly the second the dress was zipped up. It was perfect. It fit well and was mostly comfy the whole night. I was relieved that the darn thing still fit after two weeks of thinking I would bust the zipper if I inhaled more than half way.
I've popped out more in the last two weeks and apparently my belly is now more obvious - which is good. I like that it's obvious that I'm pregnant. And it's fun to feel the karate kid doing its thing in there. Doing laps or using me as a punching bag, whatever. Baby must really like oranges and orange juice because I have to prepare from some tummy gymnastics if I have any.
I read JH's blog and laughed out loud about the wine & cheese party we attended earlier this week. Tis true - nobody (read: me) puked this time. It's a lot more tame when you're drinking sparkling grape juice and just eating cheese to eat cheese - not just to soak up the alcohol. I like it better from the flip side - but even pre pregnancy I couldn't have drank that much and been able to function the next day. That's the part about pushing 30 that really sucks. Both the endurance and the tolerance are gone.
I do miss good wine and a well-made vodka collins more than I ever thought I would. It was tougher in the summertime because it's just nice to come home after work and grab a beer from the fridge and walk around in the yard. Or just sit on the couch and drink beer during football season. Thank goodness for ODouls, but it's a sad substitute for the real thing. Hubby knows to bring champagne to the hospital, though. He has very specific instructions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home